Call of Applications for
Accountability Initiative for Reform (AIR Foundation) is a non-profit organization aimed at helping people to always have access to honest information from all institutions of society. It builds open relationships among institutions and provides citizens with instruments for initiating reforms.
AIR Foundation has three main thematic programs for the period of 2019 – 2024.
- Data for Social Good, aims at utilizing open data for the social benefit of society;
- Digital Rights and Freedoms, aims at discovering and addressing new challenges for human rights in the digital era;
- Open Institutions, aims to make all institutions, including government, business, media and non-profit sector more transparent and accountable.
Public Policy Research Internship is an intensive 3 months research-focused internship program for undergraduate, graduate students and recent graduates interested in the one of the three thematic orientation of AIR Foundation and willing to gain skills and experience in doing policy-relevant research. It consists of lectures, research & writing assignments, presentations, team-work and participation in conferences and working groups.
The end result of the internship is a final independent research project of intern, that should result in Working Paper published in AIR Foundation’s website. At the start of the internship, intern should pick a specific topic within three main themes of the Foundation, prepare research proposal and spend 3 months working on it under the supervision of AIR staff members.
The mission of the internship is to provide students and recent graduates with the necessary toolkit to be able to conduct policy-relevant research of the highest quality. By doing so, we hope to develop a new wave of future researchers in Kazakhstan that will address important questions of public policy. At the same time, the work of interns will contribute to missions and goals of AIR Foundation in helping people to always have an open access to honest information from all institutions of society.
- This is unpaid, 3-months long internship located in Almaty, Kazakhstan;
- This is structured program, with lectures and assignments conducted in English;
- Requires at least 10 hours commitment per week for lectures and team-work;
- Requires a lot of independent work on own research project;
- You will have an opportunity to learn and research topics of your own interests;
- You will write policy memos, research notes;
- In doing research, you will have access to knowledge database and expertise of staff;
- From time to time, you may be assigned additional tasks on ad-hoc basis;
- You will be working in a friendly and open-minded environment in the various fancy places of Almaty, like universities, co-working spaces and coffee houses :).
Benefits for Interns:
- Interns will gain training by professional researchers;
- Interns will gain training and experience in conducting policy-relevant research;
- Interns will gain in-depth knowledge in one of three thematic areas that are relevant in the current policy debates;
- Interns will gain training in research methods, based on their own interests, which may include the development of hard skills such as data analysis and visualization;
- Interns will have opportunity to network with experts and policy-makers;
- Interns will have opportunity to participate in various workshops, conferences and working groups as members of AIR Foundation;
- Interns will develop own portfolio of works which is useful for future job-hunting;
- Based on their interests, interns may participate in lectures on development of soft skills.
- Fluent English is a must;
- Interest in the thematic directions of AIR Foundation;
- Undergraduate students of 3rd of 4th year, graduate students or recent graduates with majors in Political Science, Public Policy, International Relations, Sociology, Economics or related fields;
- All other candidates are also welcome to apply and their applications will be considered on individual basis;
- Good writing and reading skills;
- Ability to collect information from different sources and synthesize into one cohesive narrative and present in the form of clear writing and presentations;
- Familiarity with some basic research methods;
- Skills in statistics and data analysis using R, Stata, Tableau is a huge plus (but not mandatory).
HOW TO APPLY:
- Motivation Letter (1-page max) and CV, both in English and in PDF;
- Strongly motivated applicants may also send a writing samples of their past works written in English – but this is not mandatory;
- Please send your application with the subject: “PUBLIC POLICY RESEARCH INTERNSHIP” to: firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Applications for internship are open on the rolling basis with no deadlines; every application will be considered individually, and if there is a match, we will contact you for the interview.
AIR Foundation is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for internship without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.